Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Love....such a simple little thing

So here I am getting ready for Valentine's Day.   I am hoping to create/finish 14 Valentine themed crafts this month to hopefully create a lovely looking mantel.  Let me apologize ahead of time for the lousy pictures.  I take them with my tablet or phone so they are not the best quality.

I started off with a piece of 12x4 birch craft wood purchased from Michaels for $1.99.
I painted the board with a couple of coats of Martha Stewart Craft Paint Wet Cement.  From here I thought I would paint on a chevron pattern in a turquoise color.  So I cut out a chevron pattern using my Silhouette Cameo and adhered the vinyl to my board.
In complete honesty I have never painted a chevron pattern before and with vinyl on I did not like the look of the pattern itself even before the paint was on.  Nevertheless I continued.  Painted the negative spaces with a combination of Martha Stewart Craft Paint Blue Sky & Pond.  After I removed the vinyl I was not happy with the results (I did not take a picture).  Back to the drawing board and waited for the blue'ish mess paint to dry and then painted another two coats of Wet Cement and one coat of Wedding Cake and then a final coat of the Wet Cement.  After the last coast was dry I went over the entire board with sand paper to create a distressed piece.

While I was waiting for paint to dry (such a fun thing to do) I used my Silhouette to cut out the word LOVE (font is Pharmacy which you can locate here) and three periods from Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive Sheets (you can find the sheets here or here).  I transfered the adhesive to my board and covered with Martha Stewart glitter Cotton Candy.  All in all I must say I am fairly pleased with the results.  A very simply stated Valentine craft (1 of 14 fingers crossed)

Til Next Time
~Mia



0 comments:

Post a Comment